Monday, June 27, 2011

of Pride, Craziness and Sheila's Youth

Chicago is turning out to be quite fun. My quick impression of this city after a mere 3 weeks is that it is unassuming, fun and beautiful. It is now my favourite city in the US..ok well both Seattle and Chicago and most amazingly, I'll be shuttling between these two fabulous cities quite often thanks to work! totally jazzed!

Now on to the fun part - The craziness that was yesterday. Right, it all began when K & D my two favourite people in Chicago, invited me to their pre-pride party. When I saw that the event started at 10 am, my eyebrows shot up. Yes, I went to B-school where drinking was a norm, but at 10am?? So on sunday morning, I overslept as usual, waking up just in time to shower, wash the hair and dress up in an orange polka-dot dress. The thing is, you can't go to party hosted by queens unless you're quite fashionably dressed. So by the time I reached their house it was 11 am and I was famished.

and there it was, spread out, the "Breakfast of Champions" or what it should consist of - Vodka lemonade, pita chips and potato salad. K &D, both amazing hosts, immediately made sure I had a cup in hand and was quickly introduced to whole new bunch of people - met some fellows MBAs at Ross and some their friends from the city. I LOVE meeting new people and listening to their personal stories. It has all the anticipation that comes with the beginning of a new chapter.

After being sufficiently "wined" up, off we went to watch the parade. I repeat, our original plan was to find a good spot on the pavement and WATCH the parade. But somehow, we became PART of the parade. The Human Rights float was head of us and behind us were a bunch of hot looking guys in pink leotards, dancing to lady gaga. As soon we realized that we were in the parade, it was like our inner Diva was unleashed. We went around giving Hi-fives to random people in the crowd, hugging people and kissing puppies. And the most amazing part was the cheering from the crowd. It was most incredible - to see the acceptance, the tolerance and the love for the LGBT folks in this city. This parade was not just a spectacle but a celebration of accepting people for who they are! made me love chicago twice over!

The parade was crazy long and by this time, I was truly buzzed and had lost all inhibition. Not hard when there was alcohol and an adoring crowd involved. I kind of realized why rockstars act the way they do. The feeling is truly heedy! Somebody in my group dared me to kiss a cop after I mentioned that they, the law enforcement officers manning the parade, looked all tense and grumpy. You know you've lost all sense of reason, when you run up to a cop and give him a massive hug. The first one, smiled and didn't seem to mind it and so bolstered, I kissed the next one right in the face. And that boys and girls, will be my achievement of the year. Some people get married, some make babies, I show affection for law enforcement. That's how much of a fan I am.

Anyway, we got off the parade due to sheer exhaustion and came back to base camp. When we got back to K &D's house, K started playing bollywood numbers and both of us started dancing to the sheer amusement of the others present in the room. After showing them what an "item number" is (thanks to Sheila and her youth), I decided to head back, make that stumble back home. Infact I was walking so slowly, that a random dude who passed by me, asked me if I was ok. I smiled and told him that I had the best day ever!

No comments: