Saturday, October 23, 2010

Term 1: Hits & Misses

Hits

1. Loved the courses I took - Managerial Accounting, Marketing of Innovations and French. Whether I did well in them is another matter altogether. I've decided to take up a host of "quant" courses each time, so much so that it looks like my concentration is going to be in Finance and Accounting. How on earth did this happen??

2. Mentoring FYs - Being a Career Fellow and TA was great fun! I gotta meet a lot of FYs and dish out recruiting and academic advice. Yes, I'm an awesome zen advice-giver!! They seem so sorted though! This time last year I was lost and barely getting by!

3. Keeping Fit - Despite it being hectic, managed to do the 3 mile Wa duke trail atleast twice every week. I could still do better but I definitely feel sort of fit which is a huge improvement over last year where I didn't seriously exercise till term 3.

4. Fall Fashion - Managed to dress better to school this fall. My fall wardrobe was a total hit as I got compliments almost everyday! I know this sounds shallow but my moods are influenced by the clothes I wear and so it is very important for me to dress well. My clothes really make me happy!

Misses

1. Recruiting - This blew up on my face as I was too selective in my approach. Compared to the internship search, definitely performed below par in full time recruiting. Sigh, I need to buck up. But you know what, I like my approach. I don't want to end up with a job, I want THE job. Its a huge risk and a long haul but I cannot work on something I'm not psyched about. so lets see. *fingers crossed*

2. Socializing - we had tons of dinners but not enough rad parties! hoping this will change in fall 2

3. Dating - Just not in the frame of mind to date. Its too much - balancing studies, recruiting and dating but there are times when I yearn for someone to hug and tell me its ok. Thats what I miss the most about not being in a relationship and the back rubs and not paying for dinners ..sigh!

4. Reading - I miss reading a good book, even a "management" book for that matter. I started reading Dan Ariely's new book - the upside of irrationality - dealing with "irrational" consumer behaviour. Its very well written and he is funny. but I can't seem to get past page 50 for some reason. If there is one reason I want to find a job quickly, it is to get back to my beloved reading. I feel incomplete without books. I miss the feeling of being wonder struck at every page, of drinking in beautifully composed sentences and wondering why I never thought of things that way. Reading made me feel smart, made me feel like I was growing as person - without it I feel stunted. My new resolve is to read atleast one book a term. Here's to wishful thinking!!

That was term 1 in essence - few hits and misses. Really hoping Fall 2 will end well. God willing!

No comments: