Saturday, October 30, 2010

a balanced month

Dear October,

I hate to see you go. I hate to bid you goodbye. You are always the most funnest month of the year for me. Not only because my birthday features in this month, but also because you incorporate so many fun stuff like Halloween, Fall break and End of term parties. But, you being the month of Libra, also strive to balance it with non-fun stuff like Exams, Submission deadlines and interview dings. At the end of your month October, I look back at the crests and troughs and realize that regardless of the events themselves, you do however, keep it exciting.

First, there was my birthday! yay!! Although I had two exams on my birthday this year, I still had fun. I called a bunch of my friends to party with me afterwards. Inspite of having exams the next day, they came to wish me for my birthday. Some got balloons and others bought me drinks. I also got some lovely prezzies! the best part of birthdays no? This year my prezzies included a pair of sooper gorgeous pink heels, powder puff and stuff from bath & body works. At the end of it, I felt happy turning a year older. The best part of it though was the b'day luck - my exams turned out to be ok (I expected to get absolutely mauled given my inadequate preparation) and I got an interview invite (which I later turned down, long story) but still...

Then there was the Fall break which I spent in Seattle. Seattle is such a fun, quirky city. Its right up there as one of my favourite cities in the US. I love cities that have a distinct character. Cities that you adapt to rather than vise-versa. And since I come from a sea-faring family, I loved the salty scent of the ocean that permeates everywhere. There were hippies galore and bars which served a gazillion drinks. I'll always remember stumbling about downtown in a Fernet Branca induced happy daze. oh such good times! I'll also remember this hippie who sold paintings at the pikes place market who gave me a painting gratis because we both had a shared India connection. All he asked in return was a post card from wherever I travelled to next. This is what makes travel so much fun for me - meeting interesting people and having interesting conversations.

And finally, Halloween. You do end it with a bang, don't you October? I'm not so into this holiday as most others but hey, I'll never turn down an opportunity to wear weird outfits and partay!! This year I'm going as a "word-play" costume. Its rather stupid but has the right amount of stupidity to qualify as a Halloween costume.

So October, I'll have to wait for a whole year to meet you again. You're the month that ushers in the bitter cold gently. The month where the leaves are falling but where the sun still shines fat headedly in the sky. That's what I love about your weather - the lazy sunshine. Not so cold, but not so hot either. I'm glad I could still wear my summer outfits in your month. You were very kind to the tropical me.

You kept it real and made it fun. You run a very balanced show indeed!

Au revoir,

Hugs & Kisses,

A


2 comments:

Suhas said...

Really enjoying yourself, aren't you? Don't think I've seen so many *happy* posts in succession before.

I spent just two days in Seattle during my time in the states, when I was called over to interview with Microsoft. But that was enough to call it my favourite American city. Even liked the weather! (I hear Portland is awesome too)

AI said...

Happy? which part of "I-don-have-a-job-yet" didn't you get? about enjoying myself, always do. My goal in life is always be in situations where I will enjoy myself :)