Monday, September 01, 2008

Soooo not the right time to be ME

Oh man! what a weekend! and what a culmination to that weekend - Sore throat, runny nose, fever (like those all hot, shaky hand type fever) and to top it all MAJOR WORK. I'm telling you its a conspiracy between top management and God. I always get down with a major illness when my work load is at the heaviest. Damn! major sneeze happened right now and the laptop will have to be disinfected I suppose :(

What a weekend, I said, because the parents were here and were all cute and adorable. That's why I don't live with them I suppose. When I do, we get on each other's nerves, when I don't, all the love can't stop gushing. But considering the state I'm in now, I wish ma were here to make me her EXCELLENT masala chai. Living on your own sucks because at times like this, when you are all hoarse and delirious, you STILL have to do all the chores. Can I wail here? I really want to wail and feel sorry for myself now. Even though I have fever now, I will not go to a doctor because in our family we never go to the doctor unless were are literally dying and gasping for breadth. I usually turn to ma for medication advise or just battle it out with Hot water, vicks, turmeric milk and vodka for ammo. You might not believe me, but vodka is EXCELLENT for a small cold. It is, it is, it REALLY is. Those Russians are onto something. I could try the Vodka now but in the state I'm in, I'll prolly puke it all out and feel silly.

Self medication is loads of fun when it works and crappy when it doesn't. I mean 2 weeks back, when I felt a sore throat coming on, I drank up loads of hot milk with turmeric and black pepper. It soo worked and I went around advertizing it as the ultimate cure. Even the cafeteria guy looked at me with reverence for my home remedy. I felt like a droog (in Clockwork Orange), albeit a weird, desi type of droog. Now I'm not so sure about the efficacy of milk. I really hate going to the doctor. It feels like such a chicken thing to do. The last time though, when my fever had reached delirium proportions, I went to the doctor, took my prescription and went out with out paying him. I realized two days later that I hadn't paid! The antibiotics suck too. Makes you all woozy, weak and waify (oh my god, I'm alliterating now?? )

ok, I'll give warm milk and masala chai one more shot, if the fever does not subside, off to the doctor I march and this time, I promise, I'll pay him

1 comment:

Amrita said...

Hope you feel better soon! Good that your folks visited and you got some time with them. I've been having major home cravings lately and haven't had the time to go!
Home remedies eh? you have to send me a list once you're all better!
I'll just say what people have been saying for ages now - 'Drink lots of fluids and get lots of rest'.