Saturday, January 15, 2011

Digits

From across the bar, when our eyes met

I knew in an instant, that the scene was set

For us to tango into discovering each other.

When you said you liked Shakespeare

I said OMG! I *heart* King Lear,

And my heart beat quickened a bit (just a bit),

We talked about cars, wars and beatniks

And even supported the right party in politics,

This is unreal I thought.

I wanted time to stand still,

If only I could, with all my will,

But you had to leave. Sigh. “Call me” you said,

and on my extended palm you wrote your number,

I knew I’d dream about you in my slumber

(and, of our dozen babies, ofcourse)

Soon after, I decided to leave too,

But not before making a quick stop at the loo

All the while my heart was smiling.

I turned on the water to make my hands clean,

Don’t yell at me, it was a matter of hygiene,

I wasn’t thinking ok?

I couldn’t believe it, all I could do was stare,

No remnant of you, my palm was bare,

Unfortunately, it seems like we were never meant to be.

1 comment:

Abhishek Nag said...

clever! you should consider creating an e-book of all your poems. you need ONE place where all of them coexist and are available for easy access.