Sunday, July 24, 2005

"How many boards would the Mongols hoard, if the Mongol hordes got bored?"

...............and since i have nothing worthy to blog about, except perhaps that i'm now in a position to rate every reality T.V show ever made and that desperate housewives is way over rated, i shall proceed to demonstrate my proclivity for ink on paper, only because he forced me to do so.

i sound so smug.


Total number of books I own:

hmmm, there are about 4000 books in my house and only 800 of them are fiction and own 500 in that. on an unrelated thought, my mum wrote a book called " fruits and their medicinal properties", and you should know that darker the colour of the fruit the better for you. anti-oxidants are good for you baby!.

Last book(s) I bought:

The hours by
Michael Cunningham : well, because he's the mentor of Manil Suri, who's absolutely *Hawt*

Farewell waltz by milind kundera : to reinforce my lit exhibitionism

HP6-HBP : I'm going to stick to the tacky abbreviation.


Last book(s) I read:

HP6-HBP : The less said the better.

Breakfast of champions: this one by kurt vonnegut jr. is stellar. this one just laughs in your face and asks "why do you take yourself so seriously?".


Five books that mean a lot to me:
hmmm,

the folk of the faraway tree( Enid Blyton): this was where the journey began, i shudder to think what would have happened to me if this book was hideous read. i love it still. i also love the the find outers and the malory towers series, aah some of my finest afternoons came from these books.

To kill a mockingbird (Harper lee) : purely for atticus finch.

one hundred years of solitude (Gabriel garcia marquez): solely for the departure from tedious reality and ofcourse, who can forget the levitating priest?

The Complete works of Oscar Wilde : i read this one, right before i entered college, when i was goin through a pretty rough time. oh my god, he made me laugh and cheeky!

Death comes as the End (Agatha christie) : probably her finest mystery ever, and oh the protagonist is my idea of the perfect man.

What am i reading now?

Haroun and the sea of stories
(Salman Rushdie)

oh btw, i have 1000 bucks worth of coupons from premier book store, any suggestions for what i should buy?

Books i could not finish:

Anna karenina, Dr. zhivago
and Crime and punishment, why? why? can't i ever finish a book by a russian author. someone please help me, i really really want to finish Crime and punishment.

Hyped beyond belief

the fountain head
(ayn rand) and The hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy (Douglas Adams), I'm not elucidating further, i got thrown out of a bookshop for dissing howard roark. sigh!

ok, people who are reading this, i'm not tagging anybody because i'm sure they've been already tagged. and oh, please help me with the 1000 bucks.














13 comments:

Sinfully Pinstripe said...

Good. Blessings.

And since you complied, here goes:

Choice 1: Give the coupon to me :P

Choice 2: All books by Tom Robbins (or on the other hand, you have 1K, so buy in order: Still life with woodpecker; Jitterbug perfume; Skinny legs and all (haven'r read it, but heard it's awsome); Another roadside attraction; Half asleep in frog pajamas; fierce invalids back from hot climates (not read this one either); Even cowgirls get the blues(neither); don't but villa incognito....
(Note: though you could borrow these from me too)

Choice 3 (from the Sin-Pin wishlist): Paddy clarke hahaha; The blind assassin; the heart is a lonely hunter (1 and 3 could be borrowed)

Choice 4 (if you dig indian english): Some amit choudhuris some rohinton mistry's and some Amitav Ghosh's.... (and you will have to loan all but the Choudhuris to me)

Choice 5: However many kunderas you can buy. And all but slowness and unbearable I will loan from you.

Sinfully Pinstripe said...

As for russkie writers, u shud read "fathers and sons" by turgenev. Eminently finishable. And rather good.

Anonymous said...

yeah .. so its another one of those "suburban women living lives of quiet desperation" shows. Theres a woman who quits a comfy job to be a 'stay at home ' mom, a woman whos husband leaves her to be with his scretary, a Martha Stewart on steroids, a serial divorcee and throw in a Latin spitfire who sleeps with her gardener.. SO WHATS new.. u may ask?
I think its dark, its comical and brings out the reality behind the apparent domestic bliss of a group of wives in upmarket suburbia..
So its safe to say empty cereal boxes and Martians landing arent the only things that spoil American bliss!!
But maybe.. if u pictured ur self 20 yrs from now .. and related to someone on this show.. u wud like it!
And no i am not married and and I am a guy.. and why do i watch it ...
any show that puts Teri Hatcher in a slinky T-shirt and jeans is fine by me!!

Anonymous said...

.. did i forget to mention Eva Longoria!!

AI said...

Dear S.P
Choice 1: fat chance buddy.:P

Choice 2: I've not read any Tom robbins, so please suggest any one good book by him, and then if i like his style, will go on to the others.

Choice 3 : Blind assasin is an awesome book, you can borrow it from me if you want and provided you ain't leaving the country any time too soon. :P

Choice 4 : i've read a couple of mistry's and i dig the parsi oriented writing, but suggest an amit chaudri, what does he usually write about?

Choice 5: the verdict is still out on him, farewell waltz was good though

Anonymous said...

Try and get ur hands on Freaknonmics... certailnly on top of my summer reading list. Its not abt interest rates or GDPs.. but freak data on evrythin from baby names to crack dealers.. that makes great sense..
Good research , great conclusions!

Anonymous said...

and Animal Farm if u havent... delightful!

Sinfully Pinstripe said...

Paddy Clarke and Lonely hunter were both awsome. I was absolutely bowled over by Lonely hunter. And Paddy I loved too. Will pick up Atwood from you.
As for robbins, I'd suggest don't start with Still life, though it is his best. Start with Another roadside attarction/ Jitterbug perfume.
Hear!Hear! on Freakonomics. That could be picked up from me too. After a week or so. Am currently reading it.
Hear!Hear! on Animal farm too.
BTW, did you put that comment on my blog on Chaudhuri? that too could be borrowed.
And I will borrow Farewell Waltz too. I have read only slowness and unbearable.
Suggest you buy something I have not read, so I could borrow that from you.

AI said...

anon 1 : well hate the whole steppford wives meet sex and city bit and the fact that all the characters take themselves too seriously. none of that flippant angle that made sex & city so deliciously watchable. and one more thing, wooohoo for the plumber. :P

anon 2: I'm curious about freakonomics too, i'll surely get around to reading it sometime in the near future.

anon 3 : yea i've read animal farm. i liked it way better than 1984.

S.P : please to note, all the book swapping must take place within the next 10 days, i leave this fine city on the 7th of next month

Sinfully Pinstripe said...

Yes, I know. OK so be it.

Anonymous said...

Ash,

I don't know how keen you are on cricket, but plz buy and read all of Sunil Gavaskar's books (Sunny Days, Idols, Runs n' Ruins, One Day Wonders). Trust me, you'll have a blast.

Raki

AI said...

Raki, i do love cricket writing but i haven't read the ones you have mentioned, btw how is pandits from pakistan? have you read it?

Anonymous said...

Ash,

Trust me...I'm not realy into books (sigh...just the demands of daily life prevent me from indulging in them) but if you really like cricket writing as you claim, just go buy all of Sunny Gavaskar's books (strongly recommended)...look, I'm no brain like you...went thru the list of books you had recommended...frankly, all those names and titles are like Greek and Latin to me....but, *trust me*, you'll have a blast reading Sunny's books. See, this guy was *BIG* during his heydays...kids of a coupld of generations looked upto him...he was truly our first international superstar...people gave a dman to what he had to say...he had guts unlike the other p*ssies of his generations and generations before him, who (thanks to a colonial past) ate anything dished out by people of the West. In our post-inedependence young country (remember when he made his debut we had been independent for 24 years only), he was the first Indian star who did not go to Oxford or Cambrisge to earn his stripes and gain the acceptance of the goras (unlike the Patuadis and others of the world).

JUst check his books out...it won't be a bad investment...unless and until you are a total western chick (RNI -- Reseident Non REsident Indian).

Best,

Raki