Friday, December 31, 2010

Time to turn back and descend the stair

Last day of the year, last night actually and I'm here, tired but happy, in my jammies. No major plans to ring in the new year, no major parties and no annoying confetti that gets stuck in your hair. I spent the whole day today at Universal Orlando theme park and had a sooper fun day. I'm tired as hell because I spent the whole day walking around the massive park, especially the Harry Potter theme park - doing the rides and waiting in abominably long queues. I have to say, as a maniacal Potter fan, the Harry Potter Theme Park at Orlando is awesome! They replicated Hogwarts, Hogsmead and Diagon Alley. We, my friend, her mother and I,went around drinking butter beer and eating sweets from, Honeydukes, the sweet shop. My favorite "ride" of the park was the "Forbidden Journey" ride, which took us through the Hogwarts castle, and finally culminated in a roller coaster ride to simulate what flying on a broom felt like. Seriously awesome! So thats why we are too tired to go out and preferred to chill at home instead.

Instead of reviewing the year that has gone by, I've instead decided to revisit some memorable events - good and bad in 2010

I really enjoyed the Improv class I took in Jan. This came right after a brooding winter break and it managed to draw me out emotionally. It was so much fun and lighthearted. Also, it gave me the opportunity to let my hair down and just live in the moment. My improv team put up a show at the end of the class and I couldn't believe that was me, being silly and not being too conscious about it. Good Fun!

I traveled quite a bit this year, and although I didn't write about it extensively, my favourite trip this year was to Belgium and Netherlands with my best friend since school, Amrita. We had a rocking girls trip to Amsterdam but my favourite memory of the trip was us going clubbing on my last day and getting mad drunk. I still remember us being in that cab, at 4 am, on the way to her apartment, and Amrita went "You need to blog more. Promise me!" I told her I loved her and promptly passed out. Everytime I hit "Publish" on my blogposts now, I see her, in my minds eye, nodding her head in approval. Love you babe!

I also went home to India in May primarily because it was my Dad's 60th birthday and we planned to throw him a surprise party. I was really excited about going back because I imagined the reception I would get. Mom would smother me with embarrassing affection I thought and might possibly cry at the airport itself. When I did arrive, at 2 am in the night, to my unpleasant surprise, NO ONE came to receive me. They had forgotten!! I called them, from a pay phone at the airport and they woke up and went "Oh!" I waited after that for an hour, during which time, the airport security guard, took pity on me and commented that studying in the US didn't necessarily warrant for special treatment (!!!!) I was upset, primarily because, my brother, when he came home from Australia, always got the full blown airport reception.I felt cheated! Anyway, after that my parents spent the remaining four weeks being extra nice to me to make up for not being at the Airport. Dad also gave me access to his fully stocked bar, so basically, things brightened up considerably :)

I was in Delaware for the summer for my internship. This needed me to drive from Durham to Delaware in June. I had NEVER driven before coming to the US so I found the thought of driving 400 miles absolutely daunting. I remember starting out at 8 am in sheer nervousness and then gradually settling into the ride. At lunch, I dropped in to a MacDonald's outlet for the first time ever in the US and found that I couldn't decipher the menu. Give me my McAloo Tikki anyday, I said, quietly to myself. After lunch, I drove for 3 hours straight and reached Delaware.This was a huge milestone for me because I felt like I achieved something. It felt like I had broken the shackles and become really independent. All my life I had either been driven around or relied on public transport. Driving such a long distance, made me feel strong and confident. Yay!

As I blogged before, my birthday came during Finals week and so I had two finals on my birthday. Inspite of that people turned up for my birthday soiree, which really meant a lot to me. But the gesture that did it was, Fida, the proprietress, of Saladelia, giving me a Tiramisu Cake for my birthday. She said that she knew how it felt to spend a birthday without your family (say awwww). The kindness of strangers continues to astound me and reminds me that a little kindness goes a long way.

In Year 2 of school, I consciously decided to cook more. I not only baked more but also got into the habit of cooking Indian food more. My biggest culinary feat was cooking for dinner party of 6 in December. I couldn't believe how grown up I'd become! and I couldn't believe people were eating my food and saying it was delicious. I was relieved to know that the cooking gene that runs in my family had not by passed me. I agree that I might have drwan the shorter straw in this area because my Mom, Dad and brother are brilliant cooks but I'm not so bad myself.

2010 was certainly eventful. It felt like I took two steps forward and one back. It was a roller coaster of a year. Here's hoping that the next year will be a much happier and joyous one for you and me.

Happy New Year!






2 comments:

Amrita said...

Happy New Year! Your visit to Brussels was the highlight of my year too and here's to more girls trips around the world!

AI said...

Really? I thought getting a 3L pressure cooker was the highlight of your year LOL. :P