Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Picture of Doriana Gray


Most people drink or smoke to bust stress, I shop. one look at my bank statements (cool huh? bank statements and all, I sound so Important) confirms this. and some smarty pants suggested the other day that I apply for a credit card? eh?? I think I'll I end up on Oprah, teary eyed, confessing that I have a shopping mania, and you know what she'll say? "This is just a symptom, of a deep emotional issue", and I'll say "yeah my mom loved my brother more". ok we digress, but the problem I think is quite chronic, and particularly so when it involves Mango. I love their clothes, I can't help it. their clothes are exactly me!. quirky, girly, chic yada yada and gosh its gotten so bad, that they actually call me when they get new stuff, in a sugary "gotcha sucker" voice.

Well anyhow, my depleting bank bank account made me think about my shopping pattern, this is ofcourse after the initial horrified shriek. All my clothes are indicative of my state of being. and I wonder if its true of all people, their clothes representing who they are. that sounds rather shallow and what the high school clique would endorse, but I think there's some truth to it. I think when people buy clothes for themselves, it subconsciously translates itself into how they're feeling.

hmm so one of the truly awesome investments i made over the past week has been getting myself a world space connection. and for just 2000 bucks. Its a steal! and I love the jazz channel, its called Riff and its heavenly, and ooooh I got my very own remote! all my life, the men around me, my Dad and my bro, have been snatching the remote from my hand and lording over it. So apart from being a perfect lip-synching instrument, it will also be my redemption from those troubled memories of remote grabbing.

also made some investment for the home, read crockery. went to Jamal's to buy mum a neat non-stick frying pan. sort of a first salary gift thingie. I love Jamal's. Every time I pass that store, I'm planning my crockery, linen, curtains etc in my own house. And that thought always thrills me up. I got some chop sticks too and I think another shopping trip is in order to get me a good egg-beater, some mittens... sometimes I think I have all the trappings of that enid blyton cook who just made those kids fabulous scones and cakes all the time. I also need to buy dad something, but I can't think of what to buy him, i thought of Chivas regal, but umm does it look proper buying your dad alcohol? any suggestions anybody?. need help for this one!

6 comments:

Karthik L G said...

i wonder why all the daughters plan to gift thier dad's alchohol.. my sis has given my dad around 4 botlles of chivas regals n each time my dad becomes proud n sentimental and treasures the bottle..read..never opens it

what uv planned will be purfect :)

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Had a blast last weekend -- checked out movies that are gonna create a lot of buzz at next year's Oscars. Watched -- Good Night & Good Luck, The Squid & The Whale, Capote.

I'm predicting Clooney gets a directorial nomination for GNGL and sure-shot nominations for Jeff Daniles (TSTW) and Phillip seymour Hoffman (Capote).

All powerful movies. All must-sees.

Best,

Raki

Karthik L G said...

hi maga raki,
no clue abt wht uv mentioned in the comment (in my blog) in A!'s space?? isth dina yellogidhe? welcome back ;)

AI said...

karthik: Thanks. I guess I'll go with this one.

raki: long ime no see, how've you been? and how come you get to see these movies so fast?

Anonymous said...

AI,

I'll be very frank with you. One of the *few* advantages of living in Mumbai is that you can get acess to stuff that one normally does not.

I know a guy here who handles the All India distribution of a lot of Hollywood movies. So, what happens is he gets bootleg copies (excellent quality, I might add) of the latest releases of all kinds of movies. He gets stuff that he does not request for too -- so he gets to watch a lot of Spanish, Italian, French, Swedish movies. I typically like to watch the more indie leaning movies, esp those in English. I saw this Korean movie last weekend, which was mindblowing. It was kind of cheesy to see the lead couple make love on-screen in Korean...tee hee...I just can relate more to English/Kannada/Hindi....

Am planning to catch Clooney's latest -- Syriana soon. The things that I have to do to schmooze my way in to my friend's good-guys list.....so, Mumbai, after all ain't that lousy in some respects.

Glad to read that you're back home. Can't wait to read about your adventures in the coming days!

You go girl.

Raki (or, Rocky, as my American counterparts used to call me)

Sinfully Pinstripe said...

Write some.