Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mere Pass...ISRO ke scientists hain!

Well history was made yesterday, no I'm not alluding to the successful launch of the Chandryaan mission, but to the fact that CNN IBN featured a half hour special on all the scientists involved in the mission. Why history? because it was probably the longest, unbridled footage of South Indians on mainstream television, since well, Kamal Hassan sang mere jeevan sathi, to serenade Rati Agnihotri in Ek Dooje Ke liya on Doordarshan (as an aside, should I get myself examined because I actually remember this thing??) . I'm not kidding about this. All the scientists that were featured were South Indians and no where in this footage did people make fun of the way South Indians spoke, walked, danced, oiled their hair etc etc. To say, I was stunned would be an understatement. I was infact most suspicious of the whole thing and was quite sure that a Sardarji would pop out in the end and say chak de phatte and make fun of the way "madrasees" ate pappads or washed their bums or whatever mannerism of ours that people find peculiar, even if it was rocket science that we were talking about.

That's my main peeve actually. I don't see my ethos in mainstream television. South Indians are rarely featured in mainstream media. All the ads have this good looking punjabee family with little bunty who has a little beanie on his head. Little bunty infact comes across as a perfect pest but does that matter? He's punjabee, he represents the entire nation. Infact a couple of years back when Chevloret came out with a Karva Chauth Ad, all my, ahem, North Indian friends really lurrved the AD. I ofcourse, didn't get (still don't get) Karva Chauth, because in South India, women don't starve for their husband's longevity, but infact beat them up if they (the men) even so much as moot such an idea. I hated that Ad actually, more for the fact that Chevolet ostensibly chose to advertize to a North Indian Mileu. What about the rest of us who don't get/care about Karva Chauth? There is no South Indian-ess portrayed anywhere on TV. If a paint company talks about celebrations, they show a North Indian wedding. I hate the fact that when I see TV, I can't relate to anything. And no Vidya Balan and Madhavan on Airtel's Ad don't qualify because although they both are south indian, they don't act South Indian. I mean which South Indian woman massages her husband's shoulders?? She would more likely whack him on the head and tell him to massage his own goddamn shoulders. The only south indian person on TV that I can clearly recall, is Mohinder Suresh on Heroes, and he's on American TV!! Although, that too is a bit of a farce, because which southie would be caught dead with a name like Mohinder?? I personally thinks that the producers of Heroes should be given points for understanding the great north-south divide in India, even better than us Indians.

There are two reasons for this methinks. One - is that south indian culture is not attuned to spreading propoganda and the second - we don't control the media. Lets tackle number one. South Indians are assimilators not propagaters. We don't make an effort to propogate our culture to people. So when the immigrant population in Bangalore rises, the auto drivers, start speaking in Hindi and everybody talks about what a great melting pot the city is. We are melting pot while the brits rock to bhangra at the London underground. Point number two, is self explanatory considering most south indians are loathe to do an arts degree, so it is no wonder that we have no presence in the media. As there is (almost) no presence, it isn't surprising that our stories, our ethos is never portrayed. I'm yet to come across a book in recent times on South Indian life. There are tons on the Mehras, the Aroras and the Chatterjees but none on poor Kuppuswamy and family. Anita Rau Badami's Tamarind Mem and R K Narayan's stories come to mind but there's still a great void.

That my wonderful traditions are never portrayed anywhere is what peevs me today. That I feel like an alien sometimes in my own country. That I sometimes feel itsn't even my country to begin with. That I love my rasam-sambhar and have to search high and low for a specialty South Indian restaurant to serve it here in Pune, when almost any nondescript food joint can cook up Butter Chicken in a trice. That people chortle when I speak in Kannada and call it a jalebi language. That I have to feel apologetic when I eat rice with my hands.

You can't imagine the amount of jibes I've had to take because of my South Indianess. Be it listening to a guy making fun of south indian women and their tendency to oil their hair or listening to people make fun of our devotion to Rajnikanth. I hate reacting to negative stereotypes and worse, explaining our ethos to people. Why aren't we ever portrayed in a decent manner on TV for instance? Either we have a terrible accent or too dark or whatever.

I was having an argument once with this Guy who was majorly dissing Bangalore and was waxing eloquence about his Dilli. He then veered the conversation to how Bangalore's crumbling infrastructure reflected the lackadaisical nature of South Indians, while the awesome Infra in Delhi showed how sprightly his brethren were. He almost said, "Mere pass Delhi Metro hain, Night life hain, 6 lane road hain....tumhare pass kya hain?"

Well, he knows the answer now!

23 comments:

Amrita said...

Hats off, caps off and umm.. I'll stop there.. to your post!
Mostly because of the last para in which you showed that Dilli guy what Bangaloreans are made of (and it will always be Bangalore to me, none of this Bengalooru stuff!).
Have you watched Big Bang Theory. Its this American sitcom where four Physicists are trying to hit on this chick. Well one of them is an Indian named 'Rajesh Kutrapalli' which immediately strikes you as a Telugu name. Well turns out he's from 'Delhi' and wears a Sikh Kada!!! When Oh When are they going to portray India as it is!!!

Anonymous said...

Please stoff this North Indian and South Indian stuff.Can't you just be proud of being Indian. I'm a Bengali who grew up in Mumabi.So an East Indian who grew up in the west. I dont consider myself a North Indian but my Tamil friends have started calling be North Indian just because I can speak Hindi!!!

Suhas said...

Hey, that was a refreshing take on the otherwise done-to-death 'North South' thingy. The 'south indians are loathe to do an arts degree' bit actually resonates...I mean I often wonder if I'd be happier studying the arts. Pretty sure you would have asked yourself the same thing at some point too.

Anonymous said...

Dear Blogger..!!
Found ur blog interesting...!!!
This s mrinalini working for SIFY..
we r the official website partners for Indian Idol 4 show...!!
n we along with sony media entertainment request all indian idol bloggers to add our official Widget to ur blogs as a promo to Indian Idol -4 show on internet..
in return v ll add ur blog link to our official web-site.
Kindly hav a look on our website n mail me back...!!

http://www.indianidol.sify.com/fanclub

thanks in advance..

'Tis a beautiful life! said...

love it
so true
what irks me is that to so many people all south indians are madrasi and speak the same language
the number of times i've tried to explain to people that i'm telugu and not tamil is frustrating...!

elpis said...

interesting perspective. i wrote a post on Bangalore a while back, w.r.t the lack of more exposure in the arts and the general media . The part abt us southies not taking up arts is so very painfully true.

Check out my post id you have the time.
http://pericleanabode.blogspot.com/2008/05/bangalore-imagined.html

Anonymous said...

Good one buddy!
I was once asked a punajabdi aunty...aree beta, if you dont have karva chowth what will you do?(a tone indicating the end of the world)!

AI said...

amrit:I have seen it actually and honestly I don't fault the americans for getting us wrong when our our own countrymen have no idea about the various cultures in India sometimes

anon: Actually this was an observation and not an opinion. I am proud of being an Indian, although I'm still not sure what being an "Indian" means.

Suhas: Actually, did you know I got into stephen at the end of first year for english hons? I had to forsake it because ma kicked a storm and RV was more fun :)

Oncloud: I KNOW!! In pune I'm asked all the time if I know Taaamil!!

Thucydides: Your post echoes my sentiments!! but more than just bangalore, I'm just pissed that our wonderful southie traditions are NEVER portrayed in the mainstream media

Akila: OMG!! Fast for the husband?? a south indian wife?? Did you tell her that if anyone has to fast, it would be the husband and its only because the wife is too busy writing code?

Anu Russell said...

I wandered into your blog and am absolutely loving it!!!

I sooooooooooo agree with you on this south-north divide we have that we tend to ignore when we are with friends...but it is THERE!!!

I have always felt outnumbered because I am the only one from south in a group made up of all mumbaites or northis...and making fun for them is always about saying
yum (for m) and yen (for n)...bah! or about Rajni or Kamal or whatever...

You spoke my words out!...:)

Anonymous said...

Oh so very true!! Coming from madras, I've often heard ppl complain abt the lack of night life there..and this from ppl who have lived all their lives in sitapur!!(Go google it).

Oh and the best part is that they complain that nobody speaks hindi in madras!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm..I dont even know where to start..there are generalizations galore in the post and frankly i am a little surprised that people here seem to be agreeing with you rather than pointing out the abundant examples where South Indians are not mis-represented

Arundhati Roy's God of small things is set entirely in Kerela

Anita Nair's Ladies Coupe again a journey of 4 women through parts of South India where the main protagonist is a Tam Brahm

Roja, Bombay and most of Mani Ratnams movies have main protagonists who are South Indians without too much oil in the hair or being too dark! The rest of the country continues to look forward to his work.

One of NDTVs chief reporters is called PN Srinivasan, surely not Punjabi as you would have us believe

Again I dont think Mr. & Mrs Iyer wasnt negative in depicting South Indians

If you would look at other channels besides the mainstream Hindi Media you would realise that channels like NDTV good life, Discovery Travel and Living have run whole programs on South Indian Culture and Food

Till very recently Mint was printing a series of articles on the life in a typical farming village in Kerela

I think when you talk of mainstream Media you are talking about Hindi channels and i think there is a rational explanation why you wont find a Tamil family is one of Ekta Kapoors serials is because the viewership for these programs is not so high in the 4 South Indian States - and so you have punjabi families, Gujarathis, Maharashtrians and even Bengalies but no Iyers. Its simply a case of supply and demand..


The reigning Miss India is Parvathy Omanakuttan, she is projected as woman of today and not a oily haired, husband beating woman that you would have us believe....

I agree that there maybe ignorant people but please dont tar everyone with the same brush,...maybe some of these stereotypes are in your own head!

If Bangalore is a melting pot what would you have us believe of Chennai where the auto drivers are out to loot you the minute they realise that you cannot speak a word of Tamil

I can go on and on ...I dont want to be offensive but just want to point out that if you were to give people a chance you would realize that things are very different from what you perceive them to be!

Sue said...

Anon above me -- autowalas anywhere are out to loot you the second they realise you don't know their language.

Ashanka, here from MM's. I can sympathise, moving as I do constantly from the South to the East. :) Spunky post you got here.

Ratzzz said...

Ashanka that was a great post to vent out...

lets c wat to list..

i am in central india for past 2 yrs and wat not i get to here...

* my hindi is lot better by still they ridicule me.. guys u cant even spell a word in my lang.. why tease me wen i can talk in one lang more than u..
* yup i like rice and i cant leave it.. y tease me wen u cant leave ur sooka roti while being away from home...
* arent u attached to anything sharuk or anything Bachan.. y talk abt rajnikaanth wen i dont even watch movies...
* why is it bad if i prefer to adorn my hair with jasmine.. don't u have great affinity to lipstick and make up things even if u step out of ur house for getting milk???
* u ridicule me coz i cant stand cold.. come try being in our sultry south.. u will strip of every clothing and run back to ur north india holding up ur dress hems...


Heck.. who are u kidding...

Anonymous said...

err...Sue please travel by autos in Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad to understand what i mean abt Chennai

Runya said...

Hurrah!!! i totally agree with the anonymous, 3 posts above me. Sorry this is totally an out of place post abt south-indians being treated this and that. Pleeeaase grow up!!!!
and since wen did hindi become north-indian language??? well i was under the impression its our NATIONAL language.
well have a lot more to say but i guess enough mud-slinging.
Jo
(Maharashtra- born residing currently in Bangalooru)

AI said...

Anu: Thanks for your comment about the blog and feel your pain sista :)

Anon1:I wasn't talking about a North-South divide actually or about language barriers, mine was more a reference to not seeing south indian ethos in the Indian media.btw, I get a lot of that too

Anon2: I appreciate your long comment and you pointing instances contrary to my point but I'm still not convinced that it invalidates my argument. The crux of my argument, in scientific terms, is that for the percentage of population that south indians make up, the percentage of footage we get in the media be it, TV, News, movies, books etc is woefully inadequate. Try this, pick any non regional channel and gauge the percentage of footage that talks about anything south indian.Examine this for a week and then tell me if I'm wrong

Sue: Thanks! Honestly, I only started feeling this after I came to pune!

The Rat: These are common stereotypes, agreed, but my post was more focused on the lack of south indians in the media and the need for us to make an effort to convey our wonderful ethos

Jyothika: umm, this might surprise to you but there NO such thing as the National Language of India and So Hindi is NOT the National language of this country. It is one of the 14 Official languages of this country. Please refer to article 354 (I think!)of the constitution. You actually unknowingly corroborated the very argument I was making

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to be such a pest (Anon 2 is back again) but i still do not agree with you.....

From Business: I think Infosys Mentor Naraymurthy, Satyam's B Raju, are in the news every second day...

Sports: Dinesh Karthik, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Anil Kumble,Kris Srikanth, Dileep Vengsarkar are difficult to not notice if you are even remotely interested in Cricket!
Sania Mirza is probably India's only Sports postergal

Media: B Raman the security advisor who has been appearing on news channels on and off is from Chennai (from what i can tell from his profile)

Politics: Jayalalitha, Chandrababu Naidu, our ex IT& Comm Minister Dayanidhi Maran,Two of our recent Presidents Dr Abdul Kalam and KR Narayanan are all prominent South Indian figures

All the people i have mentioned above are not projected negatively in the media

I want to reiterate that what you see in Media is just supply and demand...if more Tams, Kannadigas, Mallus started watching Star Plus believe me very soon you will see a plethora of Saas Bahu Sagas starring the Kammas, Srinivasans, Tam Maamis etc etc...

If you watch Hindi channels obviously the content will be geared to suit the tastes of the majority audience..similarly it is unreasonable for Hansaben or Paramjeet Kaur to upset on watching Sun TV and find no representation of Gujrathis or Punjabis!

I can cite scores of other examples to make my point that i dont think any particular state gets undue favoritism/discrimination in media representation...but Yes if you look at it 4 states vs rest of India then obviously it will appear imbalanced!

but i am disturbed that fellow Indians are keeping track of things like how often are south indian mentioned in the media...it distresses me no end..when people like us fall for regional politics..We are the new face of India if we cannot leave these differences behind what hope does our beloved nation have?

Regarding ur comment to Jyothika I would just like to point out that
"Hindi is the main language of more than 40 percent of the population. No single language other than Hindi can claim speakers among even 10 percent of the total population. Hindi was therefore made India’s official language in 1965. English, which was associated with British rule, was retained as an option for official use because some non-Hindi speakers, particularly in Tamil Nādu, opposed the official use of Hindi."
from Oldenburg, Phillip. (1997-2007) Encarta Encyclopedia "India: Official Languages."

Sue said...

Anon -- I have, and in other cities besides. A young girl on my own who didn;t know the language. I don't hold a grudge but nor do I single out the Madras autos.

Do you have a name you would like to use?

Runya said...

Ok Ashanka, you continue to make your point and all the best with it, but please oh please spare my name!!! its 'jyotika' and not the way you like it to spell.. jyotHika :) how typical..... :)

Anonymous said...

Dear commentors above,

I think it's just best to let the status-quo be, and not flog the horse anymore: as in, let the north and south revel in their differences and be merry.

If you don't agree with me, just try telling a North Indian the seemingly innocous phrase "come tomorrow" in Telegu. You'll get my point.

Regards,

Someone

AI said...

Jyotika: My bad, apologize for misspelling your name

Someone: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA. Funniest comment ever!! and I think I know who you are ;) Big sloppy kiss to you :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Can someone please elaborate where the North ends and the South begins? Is Karva Chauth really a "North Indian" festival? I am not sure of that. Isn't it mainly a Punjabi and UP festival? I don't know any Bengalis, Oriyas, Maharashtrians, Gujratis that celebrate it.

Maya

Ashdin said...

i can relate a little bit..